Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
- Stay informed. Follow Alaska Wilderness League and Gwich'in Steering Committee on social media or sign up for their newsletters. Read Arctic Refuge breaking news (and get caught up).
- Call your Representative and two Senators when an Arctic bill is up for a vote.
- Share this information! Talking about the Refuge (or anything you care about) with friends and family is still the most effective way to get the word out for permanent protection.
BY THE NUMBERS
- 19,286,722 acres: Largest national wildlife refuge and largest publicly owned land in U.S., nearly the size of South Carolina
- 42 fish species
- 37 land mammals, including almost 200,000 Porcupine caribou, grizzly bears and wolves
- 12 marine mammals, including polar bears, sperm whales, humpback whales and orcas
- 200+ migratory and resident bird species—Migratory birds travel from all 50 states and six continents.